Monday, December 14, 2009

Microwave Peanut Brittle

For years when I was growing up, we would take out the candy thermometer at Christmas time and begin the laborious process of making peanut brittle over the stove. Half the time it would turn out perfectly -- the other half -- not so good! As an adult, I just couldn't bring myself to make it any more -- that is, until my mother gave me a recipe for the microwave.

Now I make it every year and it has become such a Holiday classic, that my vendors just expct a box from me every year! Here's the recipe and a couple tips for making it just right!

Mix one cup sugar and 1/2 cup light corn syrup together in a large Pyrex measuring cup with handle. Microwave for 4 minutes on high.

Add 1 cup raw spanish peanuts -- microwave on high for 4 more minues.

Grease cookie sheet w/ unsalted butter.

Stir in 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (pure) and 1 tablespoon unsalted butter. Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes on high.

Carefully take out of microwave. Stir in one teaspoon baking soda -- let rise and spoon onto pan.
Let cool completely before breaking into pieces.

Hints: Sometimes my microwave seems hotter than others. To make sure the mixture doesn't "burn", I watch the last 2 1/2 minutes carefully to make sure my peanuts aren't turning to brown. Sometimes I only need to do the last cycle for 2 minutes 15-20 seconds.

If you like a lot of air in your peanut brittle, add more baking soda. I always use a generous teaspoon.

Although I like to put my pan outside to cool, don't do it if its snowing or there's a lot of moisture in the air -- it maks the top of the peanut brittle sticky.

Let me know how it turns out! Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment