Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day Four: A Beautiful Day on the Beach


It started out raining and we feared the worst, but by 9:30 it started to clear. First things first, I took the resort manager to sea my starfish as they can clean it (I researched on the internet -- it is a Cushion Sea Star), but , it moved and turned out to be still alive. We got a tub of salt water and put him back in. As the weather started to clear, we figured out snorkeling was on for 10:30. I hurried up and sketched my star for an art project and biked over to the docks for the snorkeling expedition.What fun -- once you get the hang of it. First I jumped in, put on my fins and while I did that, my mask and tube promptly sank to the bottom of the sea. One of the girls located it and we determined it was probably 15 feet deep (felt like 30) and I swam down to get it. Then I was out of breath for 10 mins. Took me quite awhile to figure out the breathing tube thing, but once I got the hang of it I was off!!!!!! Saw lots and lots of coral reefs, little pools of colorful fish and although I didn't see it, a large group of baracuda. Now I'm determined to borrow the goggles and mask and just swim out a little ways and see what we have on our shoreline. (That's Ann Harris to the left picking up large conch shells on the Atlantic side for art projects).

Before lunch we took the starfish back to the ocean -- hoping he is still alive. We placed him in a bed of sea grass/weed and he is largely hidden from view. The internet never gave me a straight answer about how long they could live out of water -- probably has brain damage.
After lunch (it seems like all we do is eat and drink) I joined a bridge table -- beginner and played some preset hands with newbies and one of the bridge instructors. Learning a lot!
Tennis followed bridge -- a rousing game of doubles and then a dip in the sea to cool off.We had a cover band last night and everybody, including the resort staff jumped in and danced (got some great video). Dinner was a great buffet -- but I ate some things I'm still not sure what they were (in an island accent, mussels sounded like mushrooms to me). Another great evening at the resort!

And I promised Joann that I wouldn't name any names on the blog -- as some people might be sensitive about being "out there on the internet", but I must say what an amazing group of talented and interesting women! I feel like I am getting 35 new friends -- it's great (and it's a women thing)!

No comments:

Post a Comment